Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday Evening

I am glad to have spent so much time being sad yesterday because today allowed no time at all for tears.

I didn't feel sad today. Got up at 4:30, took a gander at the great big moon, made coffee and got to work.

The kids did well getting up and ready. I threw eggs at them (well, made some very fast omelets, no cheese, and said "Eat! Eat! You need the protein for energy!"

Coco let me milk her with no problems. We enjoyed the cool morning.

In fact, the weather today on the farm was delightful. I wish I had been out powerwashing the barn. Or weeding the garden. But working in the bakery wasn't terrible. It felt like the beginnings of fall. I hardly sweat at all.

As soon as the girls got off the bus, we loaded up to head to farmer's market in Catawba. I thought the gals might want to stick around the house for some peace and quiet, but guess what? They wanted to stick around their mother. And I was happy to have some nice hugs.

There was a hint of thunderstorm in the air, but alas, it never arrived.

When we returned from market I was disappointed to see that the good fairies never made it to our house. Dirty pots and pans and flour everywhere. But before I could get to them, I had to tend to the stack of neverending papers that needed to be signed and returned to the schools.

Made me feel like some dignitary. Or general. Nodding to the orderlies, bringing in their stacks of important documents, waiting patiently and respectfully for my signature, a signature that will influence world events, a signature that will help bring about world peace, or environmental change or, or, or.

Well, I guess I had forgotten how many signed papers 5 children can require during the first week of school.

Please tell me this will end once we are past the first week of school?

So then I got to the pots and pans and Patrick milked Coco for me, and Thomas took out the scraps and unloaded the dishwasher and Nora watered Coco and Maggie unloaded the market goods from the car and Rose worked on making lunches for her and Nora for school tomorrow and I felt very tired.

Glad for the bakery. Glad for our many kind friends who support our farm through purchasing our breads and mixes and pizza crusts. Glad to have made it through the day feeling strong and courageous instead of lounging in a puddle in the middle of the dining room floor. Rote chores are good therapy.

Well, the night sounds are comforting. The air is fresh and cool. Crickets chirp and tell me it is time to wrap this up and go read to Nora and Rose. I forgot to mention that we are reading one of my favorites: a book by George McDonald called The Princess and the Goblins. It is the story of a very brave princess named Irene. I hope to tell you more about it at a later point.

Speaking of books, I wrote a brief review of Charlotte's Webb and The Remains of the Day the other morning. Must remember to share with you. All about devotion and sacrifice.

But now, to the real stuff. Reading with precious ones before we go to sweet deep sleep.

2 comments:

Polly said...

love the image of you as the dignitary, signing documents to bring about world peace....

Charlotte's Webb & Remains of the Day! Ah, such good books!

If you'll have brownie mix on saturday, i'm going to buy some as a treat, along with the standard, much-loved spelt bread....

Tall, G, Non said...

I've read so many of your blogs and I can't get over how you do so much around the farm, and bake as well and just take it for granted. You are a real find for an example to hold up to kids today. Most women I know work a forty hour week and pay someone to clean house. Charlotte's Web and Remains of the Day are great books, but you are, by far, much better reading. You are so real and exciteing lways something going on. Please never change!