Monday, May 16, 2011

More Favorite Things, or Continuing to Count My Blessings

Roasted parsnips.

From Patchwork Farm in Copper Hill, Va. Some of our farmer's market friends raise the most delicious parsnips and carrots I have ever tasted.

I peeled them and cut them into wedges, tossed with olive oil and put them in a hot oven. When they were almost brown around the edges, I tossed in some fresh asparagus from another farmer's market friend. A sprinkling of sea salt and a few more minutes and they were so good I had to control myself to keep from eating the whole lot, right off the pan.

PLEASE, find some sweet parsnips from a local farmer and roast them with olive oil and sea salt. I like chocolate well enough, but not as much as those roasted parsnips. Weird, huh???

We also ate some organic broccoli, sauteed in a huge fry pan with olive oil, garlic and just enough water to hasten along the cooking.

And a nice fresh salad, picked by Maggie minutes before we ate it.

The kids ate some of Big Pine's smoked trout and baguette leftover from the market. I just ate some more parsnips. And broccoli.

Isn't it wonderful to be eating truly fresh food again? And such a gift to know most of the hands who helped get that food from the earth and to our table.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Speaking of fresh food, I had better go milk. Coco tells me it is time!

No comments: