Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What's For Supper

It has been so warm the last couple of days. Nora has spent time every afternoon riding her bike up and down the driveway. I went out to pick a few more ripe tomatoes. A gentle breeze is blowing and things are still damp from the morning rain. The ridge looks like November. Mostly golden, heavy on the brown with a dash of cayenne here and there. The fields are still green. Cattle, sheep and goats are grazing happily.

All the beautiful colors outside have inspired my supper menu: Bright green broccoli, sauteed in olive oil with garlic and salt. Deep orange sweet potatoes, sliced and roasted in the oven with, yes, you guessed it: olive oil, salt and more garlic. I think I will give the kids some grass-fed hamburger meat, made into little bitty steaks and I will have the last lamb chops, to make room for the lamb to come. Of course that will be prepared with some rosemary and garlic. The arugula is so vibrant and healthy looking out in the garden, I think I will go pick some of that to saute with some, yes, more olive oil and garlic. A couple of red and yellow tomatoes sliced on the side, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and we are set.

Bon Apetit! And everything locally grown. Yum.

1 comment:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You cannot go wrong with olive oil and garlic. Or butter and garlic. It's the only way I can get Kurt and Kelly to eat lima beans.

I saw what you said in Dan Casey's article about the fees people have to pay to sell their goods at farmer's markets. It really made me mad what they charge people. I don't know how they stay in business.