Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saturday Evening on the Farm

It has been awhile since I have had to chase cows.

Got a call from the neighbors letting me know that a couple of steers and Boaz the ram were on their property. Rose and I put on a coat and hat and walked down the pasture in the drizzling rain. It was not so terrible. The bad thing is knowing that some gates need fixed. The good thing is getting outside and hearing the gurgling creek.

We moved the errant wanderers back home and I fixed three gates which had been pushed down. Well, I didn't exactly fix them, but I wired them closed, hoping that when Daddy comes for a visit next month he can maybe help me fix them. Walking along the pastures made me see many fencing issues with which I need to deal. I picked up a little trash that the winds have blown around.

Ophelia and Esther have yet to deliver their lambs. I wonder if they will come when the moon gets full? The goats and ewes seem happy to be out grazing the little bits of fresh grass. Have you ever seen baby goats? Those kids are so funny.

I put Carmelita, Coco's baby from 14 months ago, for sale on Craigslist today. Kind of made me sad, but I am happy to think about her going to a good home to be a sweet family milk cow. She is one good-lookin' gal. Wonder if she will sell?

All is calm and quiet for the moment. Thomas is heating up some leftovers for supper. Soft rain is working its magic on our fields. Mild temperatures make peepers sing their evening song. I have many thoughts on my mind and the music outside my window seems to be just the right accompaniment.

1 comment:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I always wanted a milk cow. But I know nothing about taking care of them and now we are probably leaving.