Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Springtime

Yesterday morning while milking I heard the twir and trill of a song bird pirched way up high in the cherry tree.

Last night the breeze blowing in the trees sounded like early March. Not the brutal steam train wind blowing through the valley, but a soft, velvety breeze wandering through the moonlit evening.

At around 5:30 this morning the roosters crowed, trying to get my attention. The moon was a bit over half full. I could hear the sound of the creek gurgling in the distance, swollen with melted snow. That itself was a very pleasant sound. But then came the real gift! Peep. Peep. At first hesitant, kind of like me, waking up in the morning. Peep. Peep. Peep.

Could it be?

Yes! It truly was! The peepers, the little pond frogs woke up to spring this morning. I had missed them so much. Of course not so much that I got up right then to say hello. Somehow I was able to go back to sleep and pleasant dreams.

This morning even more varieties of birds are out there singing their greetings. Welcome back, I say! 52 degrees and the brightest of suns. It will be t-shirt weather this afternoon.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

"This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it."

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

It has been a lovely weekend, hasn't it!