Tuesday, July 19, 2011

There Certainly Are a Lot of Good People in the World.

My heart is hurting right now for so many reasons, it is hard to bear.

Some of the reasons are so sweet, I feel unworthy, thinking of the generosity of others. If I even attempted to recount the ways people have served us, I would never be able to finish. But recently, Nancy brought over a meal that fed us for two days, and she even brought fruit and cookies which blessed my children and even more myself, as we have been working so hard to prepare for our move.

I can't even begin to list all the things Larry has done to help me get our house ready to put on the market. And Tim and his dad have been my handymen, taking what seemed to me an overwhelmingly long punch list, turning it into a done list. Door knobs that were loose, linoleum patchwork that impressed us all, well, why bother even trying to list their good deeds either. The men from our church who spent several hours a few Saturdays ago tackling projects, the men from a church I don't even know who helped with other lists. Other friends have helped patch and paint and scrub and haul trash. This morning Jason's dad was out mowing by 7:30 and Serge and James shortly after, and what would have taken me over a day was finished before 11am.

It is hard on my pride to receive their help. But the task set before me is larger than one person and miraculously, we have seen teamwork come into place again and again. When I couldn't manage one more trip into town, Stewart came through with all the right ingredients I was missing. When my printer acted like it was posessed, she took care of the troubleshooting. Other friends shared garden veggies and meals and entertainment and rides.

How does one person receive such abundant grace, generosity and love?

I am so humbled and overwhelmed by it all that I don't quite know how to take it all in, except to weep and say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you, dear Lord for blessing us with so many relationships." I pray that somehow they will each find the generous hand of God extended to them through the generosity of others, and sooner rather than later.

Yes, there are many troubles in the world and they are big troubles and painful troubles. There are mean people and wicked people and downright horrid things happening in the world. But I just want to pause for a moment and think of all the people who have decided to intentionally do their part to make the world a better place. Even in the middle of my grief and loss and fears of the new, you bring me hope and joy and a peace that surpasses all understanding. I am so proud of you. And eternally grateful.

No comments: