Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Love My Dad

I do love my dad so much. He taught us really important lessons, like "If you run out of money, it doesn't matter, just go make some more." And "If you want to see if a goat can get through a fence, just throw a bucket of water on it. If the water can get through, so can the goat."

He taught me how to sharpen a knife. Even though I'm still not very good at it. And he taught me how to butcher. He taught me that even in hard times, if we all work together, we'll get through. He and mom taught me that standing around the piano singing with friends was one of my favorite things. He taught me that watering the garden in the cool of the evening is good therapy, no matter what all the gardening books say about watering in the morning.

Daddy taught me how to make Tacos Chihuahua. He taught me how to milk goats. He taught me that raising a majority of our own food was a very satisfying thing.

Daddy is generous with hugs. Generous with homegrown stories. Especially "Flunky the Monkey and Tarzan the Hairy-Legged Apeman."

Lots of other things too.

I am thankful for you, Daddy. So glad you are my dad. Glad we are going to be moving to Texas to be near you, so you can teach my kids other kinds of things, like fishing and hunting and how to hunt deer and make the best fried fish and pico de gallo in the world. I look forward to singing a special with you in church and sharing a few Sunday dinners with you and Mom and the kids and having the kids mow and weed eat for you every once in awhile.

Love you so much, Daddy. Happy Father's Day.

No comments: