Monday, May 4, 2009

The Leaves are Green

The leaves came back on Friday.

Everything looks different with leafed out trees. So lush and green.

Last week we were able to plant many rows of vegetables and flowers. The rain is a gift. Watering everything in so we don't have to!

It is hard for me to think about much else besides our friends and their son Craig. I have prayed for them while milking, while baking, while driving, while walking the fences. We are still waiting for more news.

We debuted our products in an additional farmer's market on Saturday. I baked several extra dozens of loaves of bread and we loaded up two vehicles. Printed out extra signage, found another cash box and receipt book and made big pans of chocolate filled brioche to celebrate. Philip took Patrick, saw horses and an old barn door to set up at our usual spot at Ikenberry's Orchard. I took some other kids with me and we set up at a new market in Grandin neighborhood in Roanoke. Business was hopping. We are really blessed that so many people are interested in supporting local farmers and local industry. We sold out of most of our breads by 11am. So grateful to have another venue, even if our workload has increased significantly. There's just something rather fulfilling about having enough money to pay the bills! Farmer's market is a great way to meet new people and get some socializing in, as well.

After the market, Thomas and I headed up to Maryland to the Sheep and Fiber Festival to deliver our fleeces. I had no idea so many people were interested in sheep and fibers! We got many ideas and were very inspired. We dropped off 10 fleeces which weighed 44.75 lbs. I was hoping for 50 lbs because it would have put us in a different pricing category. Maybe I cleaned those fleeces a bit too diligently. It was very hard deciding what product to make out of our wool. I thought rovings would be good, if we wanted to spin, but we are not ready to tackle that project yet. Yarn is very expensive to make. 3oz skeins would cost us $7.50 each to make. Yikes! We settled on the heavy-duty hiking socks. The thin wool socks were less expensive to process, but didn't seem as practical. The hiking socks will cost aproximately $17 to make, not counting shearing, driving, buying the sheep or eating a lamb gyro at the Festival. I have never paid that much for a bag of socks at WalMart before, so it does seem a bit crazy. Nevertheless, they will be a very unique product. Locally grown socks. Who would have thunk it? Perfect for environmentally conscious hikers. I hope that each year we can add a new cool product made from the fruit of the farm.

Today I am tired. The driving was great for brainstorming and planning and listening to a book on cd. But now I am zapped. Took a long power nap. Walked the fields to check on animals. Tried unsuccessfully to fix a kid's broken leg. Don't know what to do. Tried to make a splint, but it didn't work. Seems like both back legs are broken. Maybe they are not broken. Maybe torn ligament? Dislocated? Stepped on by a cow? Maybe we will get some plaster of paris and try a cast. Otherwise the little fellow seems okay. Maybe our doctor friend will give me some pointers. I hope he will make it.

By the way, the pear tree has lots of little pears. Both cherries are loaded. The potatoes are all up and need a big load of mulch. We will be eating our own salad with green onions soon. I am feeling desperate for fresh veggies. I guess before we turn around three times we will be up to our ears in green beans and corn. Can't wait.

2 comments:

CountryDew said...

What a busy lady you are. I am glad you have a new venue but missed you at I.O. Saturday when I stopped by. Hope to see you at the Bloggers Meet Up on Thursday - it sounds like you could use the break!

hollywould said...

i'm glad to hear you are branching out business! i hope you can come to my graduation, but i understand if you can't make it. just know that i would love to see you there!