Monday, September 29, 2008

Cheep cheep cheep

I got a call this morning that our last batch of baby broiler chicks had arrived at the Fincastle post office. Cheep cheep, the noise is rather deafening for such tiny little creatures. They are tiny and yellow and fluffy right now. They are not nearly the novelty they were a couple of years ago.

We were able to put the chicks out on the deck for the afternoon. It was nice and warm today. They are back in the breakfast room under a heat lamp right now. Heat lamps are a new little chicks best friend. When nature is more involved in a chick's life, the mother hen is the source of heat. She keeps those little babies tucked under her warm wings, hidden from predators and cold breezes. When we have to take care of them, we have to keep an eye on the temperature, make sure it is 90 plus degrees, give them water, vitamins, special food, grit, plenty of clean surface to sleep on, room so they won't smother each other in a corner.

Besides getting the chicks situated and picking a little garden, I didn't have energy to do much else. Took a nap. Cooked supper. Washed some dishes. Am about to go milk the cow. As I take charge of mothering those birds, I think of the scripture in Psalm 91, verse 4, "He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler." I am tired and glad I have a faithful God who will keep me safe and warm under his wings. Sometimes on days like today, I am tempted to keep going, keep doing, so much to do. But then I think of the words of Jesus in Matthew23:37b: "How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!"

How easy it is to be like a sleepy rebellious child protesting a time of rest. I think that after some milking time, I am going to go tuck myself into the refuge of my fluffy feather blankets.

1 comment:

Tom Atkins said...

Simply loved the bible verse! And how true.