Wednesday, September 9, 2020

One Year Later.....

(Written as a draft September 2018) I finished writing up an employees handbook last week. Took it to Joe, the local printer at Printco to have it printed out, and opening and closing procedures laminated.

We are gearing up for a busy holiday, super busy event season, and this afternoon my staff of 12 will show up for a meeting to go over it all.

Staff of 12????

It blows my mind we are entering our second year as Taste and See Bakery, 116 North Fifth St. Alpine, Tx. What a whirlwind education. I could write a book about the uncommon and amazing loyalty of my terrific employees. Or our loyal local customers who grin and bear it as we muddle through, making our mistakes, learning the ropes. Or the fun, sweetheart tourists who delight in our unique offerings. How about I just mention what this bakery has done for our family???

Thomas, my oldest son who is on the autism spectrum, comes in to work two days a week. He earns a little pizza money by taking out trash, doing some dishes, setting up candles for pizza night, washing our weekly load of local produce. He assists up front by serving customers water, taking them cheese nibbles and baguette. We love seeing him be engaged, not just with us, but with our customers.

Patrick and Maggie jump right in to help like warriors when they pop in for a quick visit. They don't berate me when I am a workaholic and forget to send them care packages. They listen and advise from afar.
Rose and Nora jumped in from day one, working double shifts, doing anything I needed. Tending the customers up front, making grilled cheeses, countless pieces of cinnamon toast. Rose was our first pizza night chef. Seventeen years old, tending the kitchen like a rock star, in between making all the cookie dough for the week. Sad as I was, we all knew she would graduate. Nora, fourteen at the time, slid right into head pizza chef position, directing orders to other employees, training, advising and consulting with me on menu choices. She also handles the front like a charm, and her grace, poise and confidence have soared. Oh, and may I say that these kids certainly enjoy knowing how to earn their own spending money?

Yes, I have worked more hours than any sane human should work a week for the past year. Strangely enough, our family bonds have done nothing but grow closer and closer.

My sister Christine has helped hang my mom's paintings. My sister Terri sells her super cute aprons here. My mom has sold seven paintings this year. My dad brought us a five gallon bucket of organic swiss chard every week for nine months. One week he brought me six five gallon buckets. Oh. My. Goodness. I begged him never do that again!

Mom and Dad come in to the bakery several times a week, and I am so thankful to have healthy, fun food for them.

I will say there is nothing in the world more stressful than opening a storefront business. Offering our tiny little venture to the world is scary and downright nerve wracking. It hurts to have people occasionally be mean to us. It hurts to make big mistakes and feel embarrassed.
It is hard to be a boss and know how to effectively train a staff when I am on a significant learning curve. It is daunting when the mill goes down. Or our shipment is delayed. It is shocking how quickly one's feet will go to ruin, even wearing expensive, supportive shoes, just because one is not supposed to stand upright for 18 hour days for weeks and months.

Oh, but the joy! The memories! The larger than life little moments that remind me daily we are doing exactly what we wish to be doing with our lives, offering our tiny little gift to our town.

No comments: