Thursday, August 28, 2014

Wind's a Shiftin'

Most of the day in the bakery was sunny and hot. Perfect conditions for baking bread, at least for the yeast. But kinda stuffy for the baker. A fan was blowing but I was sweating.

Around three the air felt heavy. A friend said clouds were building to the east, but I couldn't see them. Then all of a sudden, about the time my customers started coming around, the sunshine dimmed and the temperatures dropped ten degrees. Thunder boomed from a far, the breeze picked up and a few giant drops of rain slammed down onto the car port.

What a difference.

The air feels light, cool and fresh. The rain seems to have missed us for the moment, but I love how drastically things can change, meteorologically, in a matter of minutes! Don't like the weather here in Texas? Wait a bit, it will probably change...or so they say.

Meanwhile I wait for my ship to come in. Shipment, that is, of 2500 lbs of grain from Montana. Hard white wheat. Spelt. Kamut. Rye. And a bunch of organic chicken food! All Non-GMO, raised by family farmers, and bagged up in a family run mill. I was disappointed that the carrier truck didn't arrive earlier in the week, but that is one of the prices we pay for living in such a remote area. And a price I am happy to pay, since I love my little town so much.

But don't you think I ought to make the drive up to Montana myself one of these days? It sure would be cool to meet the people who grow my grain and bag it up. Hmmm. Maybe next spring? A "work" vacation?

2 comments:

Truthseeker said...

A work vacation sounds about perfect! And I'm sure they'd love to get some of the delicious bread that comes from that grain. I've not kept up with the blog in a while and am enjoying going back and catching up, from here in Troutville, VA. Your writing takes me back to familiar places in my mind. Don't ever stop writing!

Truthseeker said...

A work vacation sounds about perfect! And I'm sure they'd love to get some of the delicious bread that comes from that grain. I've not kept up with the blog in a while and am enjoying going back and catching up, from here in Troutville, VA. Your writing takes me back to familiar places in my mind. Don't ever stop writing!